Saturday, February 13, 2010

Frustrated with Winter Running

I went out for a long run in the winter weather. I picked a nice route that usually takes me about 1h45. With all the snow, this time it took me almost 2h30.

When I started, I used some little side streets. Most of the snow had been cleared, but the remaining snow had melted and refroze. So basically I was running on a sheet of ice:

2010-02-06 13-27-26_0009

It was quite slippery and I had to really focus on not loosing my footing.

When I went “off-road”, I ran in the snow along a lake:

2010-02-06 13-59-12_0013

It was beautiful, but not really good running conditions.It got more and more tricky when I entered the forest. I was one of the first along the path and with every step I sank knee-deep into the snow. I couldn’t really run any more: 2010-02-06 14-24-06_0020 Pretty soon after that the terrain became completely impassable and I had to take a detour. A side road was cleared, but you can see from the picture how much snow we’re having:

2010-02-06 14-46-32_0022 (The top of the fence you can see is about breast-high.)

After that I again had to run through tricky forest trails and fought my way through snowdrifts and deep snow where I was the first one to pass through.

It was nice to be out for a long run, but I’m not sure about the training benefits. My main problem is that all the running is so slow it is probably not specific enough. I’d really like to be able to bang out a nice speed session and run really fast for a bit.

But right now I only have the following choices:

  1. Run in deep snow
  2. Run on icy side streets
  3. Run on cleared main roads (and risk being run over by all the traffic)

The weather report does not look like the snow will melt in the next week or two. So what to do in the meantime? I’m open to any ideas that would help me get a bit faster …

No comments:

Post a Comment