Monday, June 22, 2009

Planning for the summer

Currently, things feel a little bit weird.

My big a-race is over (Rennsteig), my “fun event” is also done and dusted (Vättern). There is nothing else on my schedule for the summer (other than vacation in August). Always a bit dangerous!

There’s a couple of little frustrating things. My ergomo seems to be broken again. Quite some money spent on it (at least I got four years of use from it), and I’ve gotten quite used to the data. Then I want to line up some coaching support for next year, and that takes longer than I was hoping for. Plus my wife and I are trying to loose some weight (“point-counting” with a weight watchers type of program), and that takes some energy as well.

So last week, I haven’t been doing much training. One thing was that I had a lot to do at work. On my usual “20% Friday” there were meetings to attend, so I was doing a lot of little things over the weekend that I usually manage to get out of the way on Friday. I still had enough time to meet with friends, to do stuff with my wife, but I just couldn’t relax. I really have to make a decision about what to do during the next few weeks – do I put another race on my schedule or do I “take the time off”?

Any possible races I was thinking about don’t look too good. A nice local race was already full, so I planned a long weekend with my wife instead. Then there is the Hamburg Triathlon at the end of July, but that’s already full. I might be able to get a spot on eBay, but right now I can’t be bothered.

For now, I feel more like taking the time off. It’s a bit weird to think about a break at this time of the year, but I think that I’ll better focus on work and personal stuff for the next weeks. Then I have a month off (vacation with my wife!), then it’s slowly getting ready for next year. I’ll probably do another IM next year, so I want to be fresh for all the training that needs to be done. And I’ve already done a lot this year!

So I guess it’s okay to take things a little easy. Any thoughts on your side? Let me know in the comments what you think. Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment