Monday, July 27, 2009

Your day is always better after running, biking or swimming

This weekend I was again reminded of the main reason I’m doing this “endurance stuff”: It makes me feel better afterwards.

Vollbild anzeigen

The week was pretty stressful, lots of work, couple of things to do at home, my server crashing all the time, etc. etc. – the usual things that happen in life, only a bit more condensed than usual. With all of this and with me currently in my “off-season”, all I managed to get in during the week was one little run. By Friday, I was totally miserable and stressed out. Headaches, a little cold, short temper – I was in a really bad mood.

On Sunday, I got to sleep in, have a nice breakfast, then went for a great two hour bike ride. Nice weather, fresh air, some music on my iPod (and a couple of nice podcasts) .. totally changed my outlook. By the time I got back home, I was a new person. I was nicely exhausted after doing some uphill sprints on my bike. My head was clear, and after a shower and a nice pasta meal, I was ready to tackle some of the todo items that lingered during the week and got quite a lot done.

So, again, it showed me that in its most basic form, getting out for a run or bike session is mainly for myself – I just feel better afterwards and I’m more productive. Also, I’m a much nicer person when I’m working out on a regular basis. I sometimes get caught up in “getting ready for a race” which for me, it’s just a great way to get me motivated to get out of the door.

Let’s see how much I manage to do that in the next week …

No comments:

Post a Comment