Sunday, January 17, 2010

Lümmellauf 2010 – First race in the new year

Today, I participated in the Lümmellauf, my first race of this season.

As you can see from the photo of the start (found on the races website at luemmellauf.de), there was quite some snow on the ground and it was still snowing when the race started:

Because of all the snow, it was quite difficult to figure out what pace would be possible and of course I didn’t want to risk an injury. As it turned out, I needn’t have worried, it wasn’t very slippery. All the snow felt more like running on sand, so it was quite a strength workout. Before the start I felt that a 5:15/k pace would be reasonable, and maybe I could run a little bit faster. That would mean a 1h41 race time, hopefully a bit faster around 1:36:30 for a 5 min/k pace.

After the start, the first few k’s were needed for the field of 270 runners to sort itself out and spit out those that line up far too much to the front. My Garmin had some problems coming up with a correct pace under all the trees (and the numbers I saw were too slow), so I pretty much ran by feel and used the markers. After the first few markers, I settled into a hard, but maintainable pace right under 5:15 pace. It was a bit slippery and at times it was tricky to get solid footing, but I felt okay with the pace and hoped I could hold that pace for the whole distance.

At the end of the first loop (after around 9k) I was still running well, but my feet felt a bit strange: In order to have a good grip in all the snow, I had decided to run in my Nike Pegasus trail shoes, and this was by far the fastest pace I had ever run in these shoes. I was getting a few blisters at the top of my toes – probably the shoes are a little bit too small or I was moving around in the forefoot a bit. I was hoping it wouldn’t get much worse.

The split at the end of the first loop was 48:26. If I could pick the pace a little bit up, I might manage to run my 5k pace “dream goal”. The next 5k went okay and I was picking up a few spots. But around 15k, I had to realize that I was lacking a bit of endurance after the forced break in November and December. My heart rate was still up so I was working hard, but I had to slow down nonetheless. In the soft snow I couldn’t find a stable footing, so I also think that I was lacking the strength necessary for a solid pace. At least I had something else to think about than the blisters ..

It was a bit frustrating to be overtaken a few times, and the last hill was really hard. My dream-time goal was getting quite unrealistic, but I wanted to keep my spot in the rankings. I ended up in 70th place with a time of 1:37:34 (by my watch, the official time is 1:38:17 – don’t know where the big difference came from). Comparing some other people’s times between last year and this year, the course was 5-8 minutes slower with all the snow. That’s still a bit away form last year’s 1:23, but I had done the best I could today, and that’s all you can ask for. I’m happy to have run a pretty solid first race after my injury.

Hopefully, the snow will melt away soon so I can get back to some decent training condition. The weather report, however, says different, the prediction calls for freezing cold at least until next weekend. Not a chance to ride outside for now …

No comments:

Post a Comment