Sunday, January 31, 2010

More Snow Running

In my last post, I was already calling for Spring .. but then we got even more snow during the week, so it looks as if we have to do a few more snow runs.

This Sunday, we got another invitation from my Mom to join them for Sunday lunch. It’s become a kind of tradition for me to run to them (straight distance about 12k, but a lot of opportunity to “tack on”). My wife then takes the car and brings fresh clothes, and we enjoy the meal and the time with my parents. A pretty nice way to get a longer run in!

As hinted above, we had gotten some more snow. The first notable point on my run route was the “Herrenteich”, a dammed creek that has developed into a nice little lake:

2010-01-31 11-33-28_0002

It was created somewhere around the 12th century when the monks of the monastery that formed the basis of Reinfeld created some lakes to raise fish, especially carp. (Guess what is the traditional Christmas meal!) Today, it is used for rowing and swimming (and still raising fish!), and the upper region of the lake is a nature reserve.

After that, my route takes me into a little forest with some nice trails in a “rolling” territory:

2010-01-31 11-39-06_0004

There was less and less traffic before me, and at times it was nearly impossible to run in the deep snow and the drifts that had developed when the wind was blowing. Still, it felt great to be outside in the snow – my only problem was that I was collecting some snow in my shoes and I was getting wet socks and feet. Maybe I should get some gaiters .. but I wouldn’t know where to get them here in Germany – ideas,tips, anyone?

After that picture my battery bummed out on me (note to self: check battery before taking the camera next time). I had taken my FuelBelt with a bit of water and a little to eat. At times it was quite exhausting in deep snow (completely unrunnable!), but even after running for almost two hours I still felt great. I explored some new side trails following somebody else’s tracks and discovered some cool new “shortcuts”:

2010-01-31 11-41-42_0006

It was fantastic to be able to run in the middle of nowhere having the confidence to make it in time to my destination. After I reached my parents, I really enjoyed the hot shower and the lunch. When we got back home I even had a chance to take a little nap. What a great Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment