Friday, May 22, 2009

Race Report Rennsteig – Part 3

“Only” 18k to go – but being somewhat tired and with a long uphill to start, it didn’t feel to good. There were only a few people around me and it was getting a bit lonely. Strangely, people’s rhythms seemed to be quite different, when I was running, I was overtaking the same people that ran by me a few minutes ago. And again, and again ..

After about 7:45h, I reached the highest elevation of the race:

2009-05-16 13-45-53_0045

Maybe this released some hidden energy, (or I put on the right playlist on my iPod,) but around this point I started to feel really great .. or I just like running downhill.

Listening to “Gonna fly now (Theme from Rocky)”, I was really starting to fly. “Smoke on the water”, the “Pirates of the Caribbean Theme”, “Eye of the Tiger”, “Jump” – I had unlimited energy. The next 45 minutes I was on top of the world – it was so great, I almost cried. My pace got down to about 5 min/k (of course I was overtaking a ton of people), and my average HR for these sections was the highest during the whole race.

But even the best sections have to end, which was for me about 2k from the finish:

2009-05-16 14-48-45_0047

(It was a good thing I had read some race reports before – there is no 70k sign. If you’re looking for it at this point, I’m sure this can be a bit of a bummer!)

I had decided to put the iPod away and to really enjoy the last two k, Unfortunately, I had to struggle a little bit to get through the streets of Schmiedefeld, but after 8:55:17 I was really happy to cross the finish line:

ThüringenSachsen 208

No comments:

Post a Comment