Saturday, March 21, 2009

Thoughts about tomorrow's race

Had a pretty busy day and don't have much time to write. So just some thoughts for tomorrow ...

The race is the Hochbrückenlauf in Kiel. It's one of the nicer runs in the spring. They have a short (16k) and a long version (29,8k). It's a great race to test one's fitness for an upcoming spring race. Usually the race is just around the time spring starts. We've had occasions with some snow left, but usually it is one of the first nice spring days - sunny, but still quite cold.

The first part of the race is relatively "boring", quite flat (except for one bridge) through nice country side. Between 15k and 21k the course is totally flat along the Nord-Ostsee-Kanal (Kiel Canal). The rest of the course is a blast: The 23k mark is under this bridge:
The 24k mark is right on top! It's pretty steep - hard to guess, but I'd say more than 5% average. It's probably the hardest "hill" of any running event in Northern Germany. The rest of the course is quite undulating through a nice green forest. A killer run! If you want to test your form for a spring marathon, I suggest to run marathon pace till you hit the bridge, then see if you can hold the pace (good form) or get a bit faster (even better!). As typical with endurance events, with proper pacing you'll overtake a lot of people towards the end.

I've run this race around five times. My best time was last year's 2:20:xx while preparing for my marathon PR. As I'm training this year for an ultra marathon (Rennsteiglauf, 73k) I've done quite some training, but more focused on distance than speed. Also, I've done a long run on Friday, so I don't think I'll be able to get close this year. I'll be happy to run under 5 minute pace, so another under 2:29 will be okay. I hope to be able to run under 2:25, but I don't know what speed my legs will have. I think I'll have a pretty good idea after 5k, but I just don't know what will be possible. At least I'm confident that I won't have a problem to finish ...

Wish me luck .. no, luck's got nothing to do with it.

1 comment:

  1. Hi. Very nice to hear, that someone is also run this year it`s first ultramarathon and the choice is Rennsteiglauf. Same here :)
    Last 45 days left and I`m very exciting.

    Best regards and good luck to You,
    Raivo (from Estonia)

    ReplyDelete