Monday, April 13, 2009

Got my long run in!

Today I manged to do the long run I had planned for yesterday. I went at 9am, right after breakfast (to get my stomach used to running when full). Apart from my usual #2 pit stop, everything worked great.

It was getting warm again, and I quickly took off my long sleeve shirt and fixed it to my Camelbak. (Had enough to drink with me today!) I deviated a bit from my planned route to run a bit on an almost finished section of a new freeway being built. The second half was spent on some hilly terrain. When doing my normal marathon prep, I work hard to run up all these little hills (usually with my HR soaring). Now - as I will do when running Rennsteig - I start walking as soon as my HR goes up, making the whole run a lot easier on my legs without costing me much time.

An interesting new way of approaching hills! I've always been a little sceptical about a run-walk-strategy for a marathon, thinking that that would be something for "beginners" being concerned with finishing. Now I'm beginning to think this strategy may be prudent even when trying for a faster time.

All in all, I'm very happy with the way this Easter workout has been: Fr 36k, Sa 16k, Sun 7k, Mo 25k -> 85k over four days .. not too shabby! As I didn't run into any real issues, I'm quite optimistic for Hamburg marathon in two weeks and for Rennsteig as well. Most of the hard training is done now ...

No comments:

Post a Comment